Sue's Kitchen Menu

Monday, July 6, 2009

It's Black Raspberry Season!!!!


Okay, let's get something straight...black raspberries are not the same as blackberries. They are way different. Both being utterly delicious but having their own distinct sweet flavor. Today I went out in the field along the fencerow and picked black raspberries. Some are wild but some are transplants that came up on their own from my Pap Parker's raspberry patch that he use to tend judiciously. I remember it well: the patch was down by the grain house and had its own fence around it and had aluminum pie pans strung to scare away the birds. Pap would pick quarts of big delicious berries for Gramma to make cobblers and pies...or just eat with fresh cream. Us kids were NEVER allowed in that patch. It was forbidden territory. I smile today as I pick these beautiful berries for market pies, knowing that Pap would finally think this is ok. :)

On another note-you can now find Lodi apples at the Granville Orchard (Granville) and Legend Hills Orchard (Utica). They are wonderful for pies which I will be bringing to market this week.
I'll also have a variety of yummy Cookies, Pastry Lemonade Bread with Pecans, Blueberry Coffeecake, and my Signature Biker Bars and Jumbo Cinnamon Rolls. Of course, I'll have several other fruit pies available as well.
See you at the markets!

No comments:

Post a Comment