Sue's Kitchen Menu

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Crumb Topping for Pies, Muffins, Coffeecakes....you name it!

     I don't know about you, but I think baked goods need to be visually appealing. Yes, they have to taste good but presentation is also important!  Something I use to "top off" my blueberry muffins, coffeecakes or crumb top pies  is my "Crumb Topping." It's simple to make and adds so much to whatever you put it on.
     Here's Sue's Crumb Topping recipe and "how-to":
     In a food processor, process 1 stick COLD butter ( if it's not cold it will be clumpy and mushy), 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar, pinch of salt. Process until tiny pea size. You can add 1/4 tsp cinnamon if you want, especially with anything with apples. Add a heaping tablespoon on each muffin (I then add some more fruit on top) or cover your coffeecake or pie with the crumbs. Bake using your recipe's instructions.
     I keep extra crumb topping in the freezer for quick use.
     Check out the picture of the muffin at the top of my blog for the crumb topping...yum! They are crowd favorites at Market 65 as well as my Farmers' Markets.
     Happy Baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment